By engaging WKCO to provide services (legal services or otherwise) or by interacting with WKCO either at any events, talks, conference, seminar, newsletter or otherwise, or by using WKCO’s website: www.wkco.my and its subdomains (“Website”), you hereby consent to the processing of your Personal Data by WKCO and all persons involved in the provision of services by WKCO.
WKCO shall have the right to modify, update or amend the terms of this PDPA Notice at any time by placing the updated PDPA Notice on the Website.
By continuing to communicate with WKCO or by continuing to use WKCO’s services following the modifications, updates or amendments to this PDPA Notice shall signify your acceptance of such modifications, updates or amendments thereof.
Collection of Personal Data
1. “Personal Data” means information and detail about you which you have provided to WKCO, such as your name, address, telephone number, NRIC, email address, your personal preferences, and bank account information and any information which may identify you, your spouse or family members that has been or may be collected, stored, used and processed by WKCO from time to time.
2. In addition to the Personal Data you provide to WKCO directly, WKCO may also collect your Personal Data from a variety of sources, including without limitation from emails, newsletter subscription, events, talks, conference, seminar, newsletter organised, particupated or sponsored by WKCO and/or from the cookies used on the Website.
3. The provision of your Personal Data is voluntary. However, if you do not provide your Personal Data, WKCO may not be able to (i) communicate with you; (ii) provide you the services you require; or (iii) access to WKCO’s system or website where log in and credentials are required. Purposes of Processing
4. WKCO may use and process your Personal Data for the purposes relating to the services you have requested and for the business activities of WKCO which shall include, without limitation:-
(a) to communicate with you;
(b) to respond to questions and comments from you;
(c) to assess the suitability of your application for internship, pupillage or employment;
(d) for internal administrative purposes;
(e) to provide information to regulatory and governmental authorities in order to comply with statutory and government requirements, including disclosure to the Unclaimed Money Management Division of the Accountant General’s Department of Malaysia (“AGD”) of your information as required pursuant to the Unclaimed Moneys Act 1965 and its attendant regulations in the event of any unclaimed monies on your part;
(f) for WKCO to comply with its obligations under law, including compliance with laws relating to evidence;
and you agree and consent to WKCO using and processing your Personal Data in the manner as identified in this Notice.
5. WKCO may also use and process your data for other purposes such as:-
(a) to send you materials such as newsletters, articles, write-ups as well as other updates;
(b) to distribute information or details of events and talks which may of interest to you;
(c) to send as potential referees to (i) editors/researchers in ranking legal publications and journals; and (ii) potential clients who request for referees of past work in Requests for Proposals, tenders, submissions;
by way of email or mail.
6. If you do not consent to WKCO processing your Personal Data for the purposes listed in paragraph 5, please notify WKCO using the contact details as stated below.
Transfer of Personal Data
7. WKCO’s information technology storage facilities and servers may be located in other jurisdictions, as such, your Personal Data may be transferred to, stored, used and processed in a jurisdiction other than Malaysia. Further, your personal data may be transferred out of Malaysia for the purposes as described in paragraph 5(c) where such ranking legal publications and journals and/or potential clients are located outside of Malaysia. You understand and consent to the transfer of your Personal Data out of Malaysia as described herein.
Disclosure to Third Parties
8.WKCO may engage other companies, service providers or individuals to perform functions on WKCO’s behalf, and consequently may provide access or disclose to your Personal Data to the third parties such as those listed below (not exhaustive):
(a) information technology (IT) service providers;
(b) data entry service providers;
(c) storage facility providers;
(d) banks and financial institutions;
(e) insurance providers;
(f) any professional advisors and external auditors;
(g) regulatory and governmental authorities in order to comply with statutory and government requirements, including to the AGD for the purposes as described in paragraph 4 above.
Access & Correction Requests and Inquiries
9. Subject to any exceptions under applicable laws, you may at any time hereafter request : (i) for access to your Personal Data (ii) for correction or rectification of your Personal Data; (iii) to limit the processing of your Personal Data; or (iv) to seek further information from WKCO regarding the processing of your Personal Data by contacting:-
Messrs. Wayne Siang, Kai & Co
Advocates & Solicitors,
Unit 1627, Lobby 7, Block A, Damansara Intan,
47400 Petaling Jaya,
10. In respect of your right to access and/or correct your Personal Data, WKCO has the right to refuse your requests to access and/or make any correction to your Personal Data for the reasons permitted under law, such as where the expense of providing access to you is disproportionate to the risks to your privacy.